The Faculty of Architecture and Town Planning in the Technion – Israel Institute of Technology has a fantastic opportunity for an early/mid-career academic, of a Lecturer/Associate professor, to join our cross-disciplinary team at the Program of Landscape Architecture.
More than ever, Landscape Architecture plays a critical role in today’s societies, where land resources are limited, and cultural and social issues are cardinal. The Technion’s Bachelor’s of Landscape Architecture program is the sole accredited Landscape Architecture program in Israel. We pride ourselves on the quality of our education, spearheading a comprehensive leadership vision for landscape planning and design through research, education and professional activities. The Landscape Architecture Program at the Technion is an influential agent of change, active in the planning and design of landscapes in Israel and across the World. Established in 1975, the B.L.A. program enrolls approximately 100 students, and a research-based M.Sc. and Ph.D was opened in 2011 and enrolls over 20 students. An M.L.A. program was recently approved, and we are anticipating its opening in the near future.
The position calls to take a leadership role in research and teaching in the existing (BLA) and new professional Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA). You will need to have an excellent track record in conducting quality, ground-breaking research, in fields related to Landscape Architecture and will be expected to expand on multi-disciplinary research activities across the University and on an international scale. Using your excellent project management and communication skills, you will be expected to develop a modern approach to a new and exciting curriculum, and contributes to the existing professional and applied research degrees. This includes teaching in the core curriculum (design studio, seminars, lectures), supervising Master’s and Ph.D. theses, and participating in faculty and university-wide activities. Most courses are taught in Hebrew, however, teaching may be conducted in English. Strong applicants should demonstrate:
– A Ph.D. degree in Landscape Architecture or in a related field as detailed below.
– Exemplary scholarship record in their fields, including high quality publications and ability to obtain funding, appropriate to their rank, experience and discipline.
– Demonstrated experience or potential for undergraduate and postgraduate teaching / understanding of modern pedagogy principles / excellent oral and written communication skills.
– Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a professional and collegial manner, and to build rapport with all levels of academic and professional staff within a diverse and inclusive work environment.
– Interest and track record in one or more of the following areas; landscape architecture is a multidisciplinary field and therefore expertise that spans or integrates a few of these disciplines is a strong advantage:
- Landscape Architecture: history and theory, design and planning, technology and materials, visual representation, post-occupation or practices assessment and cultural landscapes.
- Related spatial and disciplines: Geography, Urbanism, Regional Planning, horticulture , Architecture and design (e.g. design thinking, material design, biomimicry, process design, parametric design, industrial design).
- Environmental Sciences and/or Engineering: theory and philosophy, green infrastructure, soil, water management, public health (with an emphasis on planning and design).
- Social Sciences: public policy, cultural studies, environmental psychology, social advocacy, landscape archaeology and other disciplines related to spatial planning.
The appointments may start as early as October 2020. Salary and compensation are compatible with Israeli university standards. Generous startup grant is also provided to new faculty members to support the first steps in establishing labs or research groups.
About the Technion and the Faculty of Architecture and Town Planning
Situated in the beautiful coastal city of Haifa, on the slopes of mount Carmel, the Technion is the leading institute of science and engineering in Israel. The Technion is a uniquely rewarding working place. The size and quality of our research programs, including significant industry, government and community collaborations, offers you vast scope and opportunity for a long and fulfilling career. Landscape Architecture is one of four programs in the Faculty of Architecture and Town Planning, the others are Architecture (M.Arch), Industrial Design (MSc), Urban and Regional Planning and Industrial Design (MSc). The Faculty of Architecture and Town Planning is a thriving centre of learning, teaching and research in a vast range of planning and design related disciplines – including sustainability, ecology, environmental psychology and policy. Our academic staff are world leaders in their fields and graduates are highly regarded by employers. More information about the Faculty of Architecture and Town Planning can be found here.
Applicants are advised to contact Asst. Prof. Assaf Shwartz (head of the Landscape Architecture program) and should submit the following materials by the 15th of March 2020:
- Letter of interest describing research, design, and teaching accomplishments and future goals
- Curriculum vitae.
- Evidence of creative work/scholarship and demonstration of teaching excellence.
- Names and contact information of three references.
Materials (electronic only) should be addressed to:
Asst. Prof. Assaf Shwartz (email@example.com)
Head of the Landscape Architecture Program at the Faculty of Architecture and Town Planning
Technion, Institute of Technology, Technion City, Haifa 32000, Israel.