"FAKE" - tba: Journal of Art, Media, and Visual Culture
tba is an annual peer-reviewed journal organized by graduate students of the Visual Arts Department at Western University in London, Ontario. It provides an interdisciplinary forum for emerging and independent scholars and artists by bringing together studio, art history, cultural studies, theory, criticism and related fields. It welcomes experimentation and risk.
We are currently inviting submissions for our inaugural issue, titled FAKE.
Might there be truth(s) in the fake(s); fake(s) in the truth(s), and neither non-truth(s) nor non-fake(s)?
In the context of fear-mongering, media hacking, climate change denial, and fake news, we invite reflections on the nuances, (im)possibilities, and limitations of concepts such as accuracy, representation, truthfulness, and information. Can and should the fake be countered? If so, how? The space between-real–and-virtual environment supports speculation, the trace, optimism, and possibility for emerging social relations. Is this ‘in-between space’ our new real? Is there a real behind the smoke screen of distortion, bluff, and social control?
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- Fakes, forgeries, and reproductions in art;
- The roles of the media in public (mis)information and representation;
- The limits of representation in photography, film, or other media;
- Virtual or alternative realities;
- Anonymity, citation, and appropriation;
- Delusion, make-believe, and other fictions.