PhD and MA Scholarships in Historical Studies, CEU, Vienna
Call for Applications: PhD and MA Scholarships in Historical Studies (CEU, Vienna)
CEU Department of Historical Studies | Apply for PhD and MA Scholarships!
Central European University (CEU) in Vienna offers an array of graduate programs dedicated to the multidisciplinary study of the past. From September 2024, the existing departments of History and Medieval Studies will join forces and launch CEU’s new Department of Historical Studies. Our research and teaching are recognized for their innovative approach to graduate education. Our international faculty offer expertise that extends from late antiquity to the present. Students can take a one-year or a two-year MA that focuses on individual research projects or pursue a masters’ degree that provides public-facing historical education across different professional fields, including public history, cultural heritage studies, and museum studies.
CEU is an English-language, student-focused research university located in Vienna and accredited both in Austria and the United States. CEU attracts talented students and scholars from around the world. Our student/faculty ratio (7:1) allows for small research-driven and discussion-based seminars and close guidance from faculty members.
Scholarships and Application Deadline
Students can apply for CEU merit-based financial aid regardless of nationality. We also offer a fully-funded merit scholarship in our one-year and two-year MAs in Historical Studies: the Gerd Bucerius History Scholarship, and the Bak Award for students working on medieval Central Europe. The deadline to apply for admission and financial aid for the 2024-25 academic year is February 1, 2024 (23:59 CET). For further information on how to apply, please consult the program pages below.
• Master of Arts in Historical Studies (One Year)
• Master of Arts in Historical Studies (Two Years)
• Master of Arts in Women's and Gender History “MATILDA” (Two Years)
• Master of Arts in Museum Studies (Two Years)
• Master of Arts in Cultural Heritage Studies (Two Years)
• Master of Arts in “History in the Public Sphere”, (Erasmus Mundus, Two Years)
Selected Fields of Teaching and Research
· Art History and Visual Culture
· Central and Eastern Europe
· Cultural Heritage and Museum Studies
· Early Modern History
· Gender History
· Global History
· History of Science
· Intellectual History
· Jewish Studies
· Late Antique, Byzantine, and Eastern Christianity Studies
· Medieval Studies
· Modern and Contemporary History
· Ottoman Empire and Middle East
· Religious Studies
· Russian Empire and the Soviet Union
· Social and Economic History
Advanced Certificates and Specializations
Write to Jessica Knowles (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information.