Lecturer in Hebrew Bible and/or Ancient Judaisms (Education and Research)
Faculty of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
This full time, permanent post is available from 1st August 2023.
You will join our lectureship team in the department of Classics, Ancient History, Religion and Theology with a specialism in Hebrew Bible and/or Ancient Judaisms, which complements our existing expertise in biblical studies, constructive and systematic theologies, ethics, and philosophy of religion, and will diversify and extend the range of our coverage.
We seek a new colleague who shares our commitment to inspirational teaching and to high-quality interdisciplinary research, to fostering and amplifying diverse and marginalised voices within Theology and Religion, to shaping a more inclusive discipline, and to the benefits that our discipline can bring to the wider world.
The successful candidate will be required to contribute to teaching on our undergraduate and MA programmes, focusing on Hebrew Bible and/or ancient Judaisms. You will be able to teach biblical Hebrew to undergraduate and postgraduate students at beginner, intermediate and advanced level, deliver optional undergraduate modules on themes linked with their research, deliver specialist teaching at MA level, undertake postgraduate supervision in Hebrew Bible and/or ancient Judaisms, and contribute to developing the language teaching programme within the Department of Classics, Ancient History, Religion and Theology. The post will feature opportunities to develop new modules related to the successful candidate’s research specialism as we seek to diversify the peoples, societies and evidence covered in our Theology and Religion curricula.
You will have:
- A PhD or equivalent in Hebrew Bible and/or Ancient Judaisms and have an independent, internationally-recognised research programme in a relevant active field of research
- A strong record in attracting funding for research, or demonstrate potential to attract such funding
- An active approach to inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary research
- Enthusiasm for delivering high quality undergraduate programmes
- Strong connections and funded projects with business and community partners
- Involvement in projects which develop impact