CFP: Continuity and Change in Medieval Central Europe.
Faculty of Arts, Comenius University in Bratislava (Slovakia)
27-29 April 2023
We now announce our Call for Papers for the 5th Biennial Conference of MECERN. The Conference will take place in Bratislava on 27 to 29 April 2023. The Theme is Continuity and Change in Medieval Central Europe.
Deadline for Submissions: 30 September 2022.
Please submit a 250-word abstract and one-page CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continuity and Change in Medieval Central Europe (5th Biennial Conference of MECERN)
After successful conferences in Budapest (2014), Olomouc (2016), Zagreb (2018), and online in Gdansk (2021), the Fifth Biennial Conference of MECERN (http:/
Proposals may address (but are not limited to) the following issues:
– continuity and change in Central Europe with respect to historical periods and periodization, ways and uses of periodization and division of the past, the beginning and the end of the Middle Ages in Central Europe
– continuity and persistence of pagan and Roman elements in Central Europe
– continuities and changes with respect to decline of old and the establishment of new political and state units in Central Europe (such as Great Moravia, medieval kingdoms of Bohemia, Poland and Hungary, etc.)
– persistent or changing impacts of empires present in or surrounding Central Europe
– continuity and change with respect to Christianization of society throughout the medieval period, Reformation(s) and continuity and change
– continuity and change from archaeological perspective
– crucial political, social, economic, religious, cultural changes and turning points in medieval Central Europe
– discoveries and inventions, introduction of novelties
– new literary and artistic genres and styles (e.g. Humanist, Renaissance) versus continuities
– continuities and changes in the visual and material culture