2 doctoral positions for PhD projects
The Humanities Centre for Advanced Studies „Religion and Urbanity“ (FOR 2779), based at the Max Weber Centre for Advanced Cultural and Social Studies, currently invites applications for up to
2 doctoral positions for PhD projects (f/m/d)
Pay level E 13 according to the Collective Labour Agreement for Public Services “TV-L” (65 %)
to the extent of 26 hours/week starting on October 1, 2022 or at the earliest possible date.
The research group „Religion and Urbanity“ (FOR 2779) investigates the reciprocal formation of urban and religious life, actors, institutions and imaginaries in its historical depth for cities in Europe, the Mediterranean and South Asia, from the first century BCE onwards. Successful candidates will participate in the project’s interdisciplinary research programme and engage in joint research and conferences. We ask candidates to submit a proposal situated within the “Religion and Urbanity” framework, ideally also relating to one of the following processes: “group formation and segmentation“, “mercantilisation“ or “boundary demarcation“. In addition to your own research, you will collaborate closely with the other members of the “Religion and Urbanity” core group and international research fellows.
Area of Responsibility
- individual research with the aim of successfully completing your doctoral dissertation at the Max Weber Centre
- active participation in the interdisciplinary research programme and self-administration of the research group "Religion and Urbanity"
- administrative duties related to the project
What we expect
- excellent degree (MA or comparable) in History, History of Religion, Classics, or a related field
- organisational skills and intercultural competencies
- excellent knowledge of the languages relevant to the proposed project
- conversation management skills
- language skills: fluency in English, basic command of German and willingness to improve during contract is desired; the theses might be written in English or German
What we offer
The University of Erfurt seeks to actively promote the compatibility of families and careers, offering flexible working hours and further training opportunities as well as a range of health and prevention offers as part of the company health management.