THE BRITISH SOCIETY FOR THE PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE - 2021 Annual Conference at the University of Kent, 7-9 July
Call for Abstracts
Submission is now open for proposals for symposia to be presented at the BSPS 2021 Annual Conference in Kent on July 7th-9th 2021. The deadline for submitting symposium proposals is 25th January 2021.
A symposium should involve several presenters, typically 3-4, organised around a topic of interest. Symposia may be on any topic in the philosophy of science. A maximum of 90 minutes of space on the programme will be allocated to successful symposia. The symposia will be selected by the BSPS committee. The committee will strive for quality, variety, innovation, and diversity on the programme; ideally the programme will reflect the full range of current work in the philosophy of science. Symposia that make connections with, or include, working scientists are warmly invited. We will not be considering ‘Author Meets Critics’ sessions, but topical sessions that build upon recently published books are acceptable.
Proposals must include sufficient supporting material to permit the committee to evaluate the quality and interest of the symposium. Proposals for symposia should include:
- The title of the proposed symposium
- A short descriptive summary of the proposal (100-200 words)
- A description of the topic and a justification of its current importance to the discipline (500-1000 words)
- Titles and abstracts of all papers, with 250-500 words for the title and abstract of each paper
- A list of participants and either an abbreviated curriculum vitae or short biographical description (not to exceed 1 page) for each participant, including any non-presenting co-authors.
- Institutional affiliation and e-mail addresses for all participants, including any non-presenting co-authors.
- Our current planning assumes that we will be able to hold the BSPS 2021 Conference face-to-face. If it turns out that this is not possible, we will hold this conference online instead. Please indicate in your application whether or not you will be willing to deliver your symposium in an online format.
DEADLINE AND DATES
The deadline for submitting symposium proposals is 25th January 2021. Symposium organisers will receive an email confirming receipt of their submission and will be informed of the committee’s decision by 8th February 2021 (prior to the deadline for submitting contributed papers, 15th February 2021). Please see important information below on BSPS policy regarding multiple submissions.