Jewish Translation and Cultural Transfer in Early Modern Europe
Call for Applications
The collaborative research project Jewish Translation and Cultural Transfer in Early Modern Europe (JEWTACT), directed by Dr. Iris Idelson-Shein, and funded by the European Research Council (ERC), invites applications for doctoral fellowships (~8000 ILS) and postdoctoral fellowships (~9000 ILS). Successful candidates will be enrolled in the department of Jewish history at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev.
JEWTACT is a collaborative research project, which aims to expose the hidden corpus of Jewish translations of non-Jewish texts in early modern Europe across different languages, genres, spaces, and periods. Applications from scholars working in the fields of Jewish history, European history, comparative literature, and cultural studies will be considered. Applications from scholars of Yiddish and/or German literature are particularly encouraged.
- MA degree or equivalent
- Language proficiency in Hebrew or Yiddish and at least one of the following:
German, Polish, Russian, Latin, French, Dutch, Italian
- Excellent command of English
- Academic excellence and dedication to collaborative research
In addition to working on their research projects, successful candidates will be expected to:
- Contribute to the development of an online database of translations
- Prepare entries for an encyclopedia of Jewish translation
- Actively participate in collaborative research ventures
- Present the project and related research at a bi-weekly seminar
- Be physically present on campus at BGU at least three days a week
To apply please submit:
- A cover letter in English describing the proposed research project (2-3 pages)
- A CV including language proficiency and list of publications
- A writing sample of at least 10 pages (e.g., MA thesis chapter, published articles, conference presentations)
- Transcript of grades (BA and MA)
- Two letters of recommendation to be sent directly to: rayaED@bgu.ac.il.
Shortlisted candidates may be invited for an online interview. For further information see www.jewtact.com, or contact the project administrator, Raya Even David, at: rayaED@bgu.ac.il.
Applications will be reviewed until positions are filled. For best consideration apply by August 1, 2020.
Applications by women and first-generation students are particularly encouraged.