The 2020 MEPI Local grants call for proposals is open. Info sessions will be held in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Nazareth. Please share with your relevant contacts. Many thanks and Meppy New Year! Manal
The US Embassy in Israel is pleased to announce the opening of 2020 Notice of Funding for MEPI Local Grants!
Deadline for Questions: 1/24/2020
Application Deadline: 2/25/2020
Expected Date of Notification: 9/30/2020
Estimated Award Ceiling: $200,000
Estimated Award Floor: $100,000
Estimated Length of Project Period: 12-36 months
Funding Opportunity Synopsis
Advancing stability and prosperity in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region is critical to the achievement of the United States’ foreign policy. There are many challenges, however, which hinder efforts to improve transparent governance, provide inclusive economic opportunities, and encourage civic engagement. Two thirds of the population feel that economic hardship and corruption plague their countries, with trust in civil society decreasing since 2015.
The MEPI Local Grants Program’s mission is to sustain the United States’ commitment to strengthen direct partnerships with local actors to promote prosperity and participatory governance. Its objectives are to support civil society organizations in (1) developing, promoting, and implementing locally-designed solutions to self-identified environmental, economic, or social problems through civic engagement or economic participation; (2) fostering inclusive economic growth that reaches marginalized communities, youth, and women; (3) advancing participatory governance through promoting citizens’ engagement and decision-makers’ willingness to work with citizen groups and civil society organizations; (4) improving civil society’s representation of the needs of citizens through collective action on the local level; (5) working towards gender parity in economics and/or politics; (6) increasing youth engagement in meaningful economic and civic activities; and (7) fostering innovative approaches to solving social, economic, or political issues.
Israel Country Priorities:
In addition to the overarching MEPI objectives and requirements identified above, projects must meet Israel-specific project priority areas as outlined below:
- Economic empowerment of disadvantaged groups through advocacy, skills training that leads to job placement, integrating into high-tech and entrepreneurial ecosystem, regional cooperation, and industrial/tech zones.
- Strengthening policing partnerships with local authorities and relevant key holders, especially in communities that have protested the prevalence of violence and lack of police support.
- Building leadership skills and professional capacities through non-partisan projects for diverse political and social activists.
- Promoting awareness of rights and civic education within the Bedouin community, with particular emphasis on women.
- Working towards gender parity and enhancing the participation of women and minority communities in political life and civil society in advancing peace and security issues.
Applicants may submit only one (1) application. Applicants are encouraged to have existing private sector or government partnerships when relevant.
The US Embassy in Israel will hold the following information sessions:
Jerusalem – Tuesday January 21st, 2020
12:00-13:30 at The American Center on 19 Keren Hayesod Street.
Tel Aviv – Thursday January 23rd, 2020
10:00-12:00 in Tel Aviv. Location TBD
Nazareth – Friday January 24th, 2020
10:00-12:00 at Maaof- Nazareth Business Incubator – Paulus the sixth st. N 87 / The White Center Building 6th floor.
Please register by January 2, 2019 through the following link=> https://forms.gle/RJdqKNve499DDqX16
*Each organization can be represented by one person only. Space is limited.
Applications and documents:
- – For the Full Notice of Funding details click HERE. For Complete information on how applicants can submit proposals for this opportunity can be found in Section VI below of the Notice of Funding Document.
- – For the full announcements with requested forms please go to: https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=322439
- – Questions must be submitted in writing to [email protected]by 01/24/2020 at 17:00:00 Eastern Time (ET). Please write “MEPI Israel” in your subject head.