Our Honorary Member Tzvetan Todorov passed away on the 7th February 2017. It is with great sadness that we learned of the news. Professor Todorov had been supportive of the Culture and Dialogue project from the outset. As a historian, philosopher, aesthetician, and literary critic he witnessed and reflected upon many of the good and bad things our modern world offered – and continues to offer. In one way or another the nature and possibility of the dialogue was always for him a central question to address, should we take the time and the trouble to think of how to bring out the best in the human condition. One thing that the cycles of life cannot take away from us is learning from the spirit of the dialogue that Tzvetan Todorov conveyed. The cruelty of death will never prevent us from transmitting to our fellow human beings what he called “that fragile legacy, those words that help us live a better life.”
The next 2019 issue (Volume 7, Number 2) will focus on the theme of Culture, War and Sovereignty.
“Culture, War and Sovereignty” can encompass a great many specifically philosophical themes and issues, and some ideas involving dialogical relationships include:
• Comparative philosophy of conflict resolution and reconciliation, which may analyse one or more particular non-Western perspectives and how they can engage the relevant fields of Western philosophy.
• Philosophical reflection on the range of approaches to war and sovereignty (analytic, interpretive, Western, Eastern etc.)
• Inquiry into the cultural dimension of conflicts.
• The role and significance of dialogue in conflict resolution and reconciliation.
• The nature of and justification for sovereignty claims across cultures.
• The essence of war and the question of sovereignty from interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary perspectives.
We welcome essays that address any of these issues from different cultural perspectives or philosophical traditions.
Submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes for Authors: www.culture-dialogue.net/notes-for-authors
Deadline: Open until selection standards are met